LOUIS VUITTON VS. GOYARD HANDBAG REVIEW
Last year, I shared a 5 Must-Have Handbag Review and it was a huge hit among readers. I received a lot of great feedback and requests to continue to do posts that are similar. It’s important to explore all of your different options when you’re thinking about a large purchase on a handbag. One of my long-time favorite handbags is the Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote MM. [I actually included it in that review previously mentioned.] But, if you’re a handbag lover, it’s hard not to ignore the growing popularity of the similar Goyard St. Louis PM Tote. Stylistically, I love both and, when I was in their London store, I realized that they’re price points are also very similar. Those two similarities would certainly make this decision a hard one for anyone who is in the market for a functional tote. With that said, I decided to purchase the Goyard tote to try it out for myself to do some investigative work for you. It’s been a few months now since I’ve made that purchase so, today, I’m sharing the pro’s and con’s to each bag so that you can make a better informed decision if you do happen to be wrestling with which one to invest in. I’ll also be sharing which one I prefer and would recommend over the other at the end of the post! Enjoy! xo.
HEADS UP! Okay, so I have obtained the above measurements from Louis Vuitton’s official website, however, when I measure the length of my MM it is much longer than 12.6″. I’m measuring 18″ from corner to corner. Just a head’s up … not sure what the issue is there. I know I have the MM for sure so, don’t think I’m measuring the wrong bag, The other two measurements are accurate.
• DURABLE, LONG LASTING & WATERPROOF: This tote is made of high quality monogram canvas and when you feel it for yourself you will just KNOW that it is going to stand the test of time. This material is hardcore, strong, and will absolutely be able to withstand horrible weather, too much weight and years and years of use. It’s also waterproof, which is good to know!
• SUFFICIENT SPACE: The MM has more space than you would think it does. It’s the medium size of the Neverfull options, and – at first glance – I was nervous that this wouldn’t work as my everyday errand / work bag. However, it has just enough space for all of my work necessities, which helps me to not overpack and weigh myself down. I can fit my laptop in it, a small notebook, sunglasses case, etc. It also has a large zip pocket on the interior for pens or receipts, and also comes with a small pouch to prevent your small items from spilling out all over the bottom of the tote. I also LOVE the little keychain detail on either side of the inside at the top. I hang my keys on them. All of these little details help keep me SUPER organized, which is typically hard to do!
• TWO BAGS IN ONE: This tote has side ties that can be cinched up to create a completely different style. Both styles are sleek and sophisticated, and the cinched up version offers your belongings a little more privacy. I say that because, when I travel, I love to wear a tote (because it’s essentially a carry-all) but it’s not the safest option. In travel hot-spots, there are always people on the lookout for tourists who are easy targets, and totes are bags they tend to look for because they can easily see in to them. Sometimes, totes aren’t the ‘safest’ bags to wear out and about, especially when you’re traveling. So, since it can’t zip close, I think this alternative wear option is great for keeping your items a little bit more secure.
• FUN INTERIOR FABRIC: I just LOVE the interior fabric that lines the Neverfull totes, whether its light pink, beige, red, or magenta. I think it really adds to the intrigue and sophistication of this bag. The Goyard totes interior seems to just be the backside of the exterior, which makes it seems a little cheap, if I’m honest.
• VALUE INCREASES OVER TIME: This tote is one of Louis Vuitton’s hero handbags, and most popular! Every year, the brand increases the price of these bags so, if you ever decide to sell it, you could potentially make all your money back if you’ve taken good care of it.
• VARIETY OF PATTERN & INTERIOR OPTIONS: Everyone’s style is different which makes this a huge pro for all of us! If you tend to wear lighter colors more often than not, maybe the Damier Azur is for you, but if you love to stick with classics, then the classic LV monogram pattern is all for you!
• DETACHABLE LARGE INTERIOR ZIP POUCH: This is probably my favorite feature of this tote. I need all the help I can get when it comes to organization and this zip pouch is really, really helpful! It can hook on to a small gold piece of hardware inside the tote so it doesn’t slide around everywhere or you can detach it completely and not include it in the mix of items you carry with you in the tote, as well! I also love the size of the pouch. It can fit a considerable amount of items, like my phone, post-it notes, my lip stick of the day, a few pens and some cash, a credit card & ID if I don’t want to bring my entire wallet.
• STIFF LEATHER STRAPS: The leather on this tote is very stiff, especially the straps, when you buy it from your local Louis Vuitton store. I’ve been using mine so much lately and it’s rare that my shoulders don’t feel a little tender from the straps digging into them. Over time, they will loosen up a bit and it won’t be so uncomfortable but wearing them in is a little painful. I think it’s important to not over stuff these bags in the beginning.
I, honestly, can’t think of any other cons to this handbag at all!
HEADS UP! I have obtained the above measurements from multiple purse blogs that I found, however, when I measure the length of my PM tote it is 18″ from corner to corner.
HERE is a really great similar, more affordable option to the Goyard tote!
• EXTREMELY LIGHTWEIGHT: This bag is made of canvas comprised of cotton, hemp and linen and it is, seriously, light as a feather, which I love! It’s my throw everything in and go bag! Sometimes I feel a little weighted down by the Neverfull because the material is heavier. After a day of carrying my usual purse items around, my shoulders don’t hurt and I feel like I can move as fast as I want to.
•DURABLE & WATERPROOF: Despite the fact that the bag’s material is very thin, it actually can carry quite a bit of weight but, obviously, I wouldn’t recommend doing it often. And, even though it’s made out of a canvas material, it is completely waterproof so you can bring it to the pool or the beach as your beach bag without any worry!
• VALUE INCREASES OVER TIME: Just like the Neverfull for Louis Vuitton, the St. Louis is the hero tote for Goyard, and because it’s so popular they will make price increases every so often. Therefore, if it maintains its popularity, its value will continue to increase and you could eventually make money on the bag later on if you decide to sell it.
• VARIETY OF PATTERN & INTERIOR OPTIONS: Like I said earlier, everyone has different styles and having a variety of color options to choose from allows that personal style show through. Goyard has multiple color options in the St. Louis tote from green to brown to purple to red! Your options are endless! Aside from the standard color option I chose, I also love the gray/white combination and blue option!
• STRUCTURE-LESS & FLIMSY: This may be something other people love but, for me, it’s a bit of a con. While the material is high quality and waterproof, it is super thin and easily moveable so if you set it on your counter, it will just fall over on itself. It’s not a complete deal-breaker, in my opinion, but I think I’m just drawn to bags that maintain its structure.
• SHINY: The finish of the totes material has a bit more shine to it, which I don’t particularly love.
• CAN’T BE PURCHASED ONLINE: Maison Goyard is a handbag designer that has chosen to not entirely conform to the digital age and provide its shoppers with an e-commerse option on their site. There are many other designers who want to maintain their prestige in that way, making the trip to buy the handbag in the store an exclusive treat for only those who are able to get to one. I think this is a huge con because it prevents those of us who like to ponder a little while before actually pull the trigger from actually being able to do that. So, if you live in Minnesota but you’re on a trip to Paris for 3 days, and you’ve been wanting to check this bag out but not quite sure if you want to make the investment, you only have those 3 days to make that decision. Or … maybe you aren’t quite done putting the funds away just yet! I just think its a disservice to their potential customers, but hey, to each brand their own when it comes to that decision.
• SMALL INTERIOR POUCH: This is only a con because the Neverfull’s interior pouch is a considerable size, in the sense that it could actually be a wristlet that you wear out to meet a friend for a drink. It’s actually roomy and you can fit multiple things in it but not the one that’s included in the Goyard St. Louis. It’s also not removable, and the Neverfull totes is.
HERE is a really great similar, more affordable option to the Goyard tote!
Honestly, I don’t think you can make a bad decision between these two tote bags. They both come from classic designers. They are both a very similar size. The extra height you see on the measurements for the Goyard is because it includes the handles. But, they’re essentially the same. They’re stylistically different in some ways but similar in others. They’re both VERY practical designer handbag purchases, so you should rest easy in that if you choose the one I don’t prefer as much.
If I had to recommend one tote over the other, I think it’s pretty clear I lean more toward the Louis Vuitton Neverfull for reasons I’ve already stated. One thing I would recommend due to the con I mentioned is to consider buying a gently used Neverfull from online resale sites because I believe the more broken in these items are, the more comfortable and impressed you’ll be by them. [My shoulders and I seriously wish mine were broken in, hah!] I have seen the highest number of Neverfull’s with good quality at LuxeDH, but I’ve had great buying experiences at Vestiaire Collective so those are the two I recommend taking a peek at.
Again, both of these totes are amazing and I love them both. So remember, just because I prefer the LV Neverfull doesn’t make your decision to get the St. Louis a bad one, ya know? Anyway, I hope this review was helpful for anyone who have been saving for one of these two totes!
I’d love to continue to do handbag reviews every couple of months or so! Let me know if there is ever a bag you’d like me to review that is within your price range. I’m open to any bag of any shape, size or price point! And, please let me know if you have any questions and leave them in the comments below and I will get back to them as soon as I can! 🙂 xo.
SHOP THE POST
MAISON GOYARD ST. LOUIS TOTE | LOUIS VUITTON DAMIER NEVERFULL TOTE • LUSH RUFFLE SLEEVE TEE • FITBIT ‘ALTA’ WIRELESS FITNESS TRACKER • BLANKNYC ‘GOOD VIBES’ DISTRESSED SKINNY JEANS [RUN: TRUE TO SIZE] |• BAUBLEBAR ‘EVANTHIA’ CRYSTAL STUD EARRINGS • SUNBURST MIRROR, OLD [SIMILAR HERE, HERE] • ANTHROPOLOGIE ‘LUMINOUS DOT’ PILLOWS, SOLD OUT [SIMILAR HERE, HERE] • LEOPARD PILLOW, OLD [IDENTICAL HERE] • ANTHROPOLOGIE ‘GEORGINA’ BEDDING SET
PHOTO CREDIT: KAYLEE LABOR PHOTOGRAPHY